charming

5.26.2011

the mean reds

Breakfast at Tiffany's is iconic. It's classic, cult, outlandish, heartbreaking, and beautiful. It is also my favorite movie of all time. I think it's because I think Holly Golightly (Audrey Hepburn) is so relatable: closed off, yet so willing to befriend; frightened, yet adventurous. She is a marvel.


In the above still frame, Holly is divulging the definition of the mean reds

"...The blues are because you're getting fat and maybe it's been raining too long, you're just sad that's all. The mean reds are horrible. Suddenly you're afraid and you don't know what you're afraid of..." 

I feel like I've had a case of the mean reds lately. I'm certainly not a fan of this. But I've been doing some thinking, and I've come to a conclusion. Negative feelings are inevitable. And sometimes it's easier not to combat it and force yourself to into happiness. Rather, I believe sometimes it's healthier just to channel those mean reds. Savor the lows. That's what makes the wonderful things in life wonderful, after all. 

Au revoir, mes cheries.