charming

7.26.2011

valiant veganism

Bonjour, mes amis! As some of you may know, I embarked on a vegetarian lifestyle a few years back, and admittedly faltered here and there. I stuck to it recently, and must say it was an incredibly wise decision on for me. I am not here to pressure anyone to pursue a vegetarian/vegan lifestyle; I believe whatever one chooses to eat and indulge in is completely their prerogative. So, that being said, I am thrilled to fill you all in on my latest endeavor, beginning a vegan lifestyle.


Precious bowls from Pinterest

Going vegan is not something I dove right in to. I may have very well gone crazy if I'd done so. Already sans meat, I started by omitting obvious dairy. Never the biggest fan of plain milk, I already used almond milk over cereal, in smoothies, etc. But frozen yogurt, Starbucks, cheeses (oh, blue cheese crumbles...), and milk chocolate (duh) were the first obvious to be eliminated, substituted, and revamped. Vegan cheese and soy lattes are new staples. Baked goods and other items containing eggs and milk were next; reading labels and being that gal at restaurants asking about ingredients are two new habits, and habits I do not mind a bit. I began cooking a lot more at home, which has helped me feel better health wise and financially. I enjoy searching the internet and various cookbooks from work for new recipes to try. And guess what, folks? The recipes are fantastic. Today, for instance, I made chocolate brownies. I am willing to bet anything you can not differentiate between the vegan brownies (using applesauce and vegetable oil) and "regular" ones (using eggs and milk). My mother couldn't, nor could two of my friends. 


Good for your health, good for your wallet, good for the animals, and good for the environment. Like I said, I'm not here to pressure anyone or change anyone's eating habits; just bringing awareness to a new endeavor and sharing it's benefits!

More updates to come!