charming

10.25.2012

girlish nonsense

I have a confession: I almost never read my e-mail for my blog-linked e-mail account. Most of it is from Twitter and Daytrotter, and though I love you both, I don't pay much attention. So today, in the sea of Twitter-Daytrotter-Twitter-Gap-Twitter subject lines, I was no less than stunned to see the subject heading "blog request!"

I have never gotten an e-mail from a reader. Frankly, I didn't think I had any readers at all. But just as my hope of receiving a reader's message finally faded, I found one from about 3 weeks ago (remember: I never check that account.) I won't spill the message verbatim, but I was so incredibly touched by this reader in Canada. She said very sweet things, but asked if I would do a post about my make-up routine. I never considered donig one of these. I have no problem with other bloggers doing so; in fact, I love reading those posts. But this kind Canadian reader asked for honest opinions about what I use, like, would promote, and would toss. So why not! I mean, I like make-up. I use it. And as my first (and probably final) request, I figure I should honor her wishes.

FACE:
For starters, I use Origins Stay Tuned foundation. From what research I've done, it's vegan & cruelty-free (but someone e-mail me if otherwise!) It's also full-coverage without being cakey. Because, I'm sorry, cakey face is disgusting on everyone.
Stay Tuned™ Balancing face makeup
I then use Bare Minerals Matte SPF 15 foundation powder. I apply it sparingly and lightly. It stays on longer than the regular foundation powder, but since it's matte, too much is a bad thing.
To apply the Bare Minerals, I use Alicia Silverstone's EcoTools make-up brush. I got the kit at Target, and it is 100% animal hair and cruelty free. Not only that, but they're fantastic brushes.
tbd:Amazon:photo
For cheeks, I like Beauty Without Cruelty's Satin Finish Blusher in Rosetta. You can order it on Amazon for under $8.
Beauty Without Cruelty Satin Finish Blushers
ps: Rosetta  is a great year-round shade. Always peachy.
EYES:
I start with MAC Painterly Pot to prime for shadow. You can use so little and get so much from it.
 I like to stick with neutrals and browns on the eyes. Some of lid favorites are MAC's Phloof and Urban Decay's Cherry



Cherry

For the crease, I use MAC's Mulch or Urban Decay's Darkhorse. Both are brown with a little shimmer.



For the brow bone, I use a non-shimmer cream color, like Urban Decay's Foxy.



My go-to eyeliner is always a black/kohl. Tarte has a fantastic vegan liner: Aqua-Gel Liner in black. 

emphasEYES™ aqua-gel eyeliner

And for mascara, I LOVE Urban Decay's Lush Lash Mascara. 



I use all vegan products (as you probably guessed), but I also pick these for quality. All of the above are great quality, and you will get your money's worth.

I hope you enjoyed this!