charming

1.04.2011

the happiness project

I've started reading The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin. Basically, Rubin lives a good life (a loving family, a job as a writer, comfortable setting in New York City) and feels pretty happy, but not as happy as she believes she can be. So she embarks on a year-long life changing experiment in which she tackles a new area of happiness each month. Example: In January, she tackles vitality by going to bed earlier, exercising better, organizing, and acting more energetic - all in an effort to be more energetic. Looking at the table of contents, she also tackles love, work, lightening up, leisure, friendship, money, eternity, hobbies, mindfulness, attitude, and happiness within. Wow.

I'm not even a full chapter in, and already I'm inspired to start my own happiness project. Like Rubin, I'm not unhappy by any means. But I feel like I could definitely improve on it. I've been contemplating what I would want to focus on each month. I like the way Rubin starts her project, with vitality. After a pretty rough semester, my energy plummeted to a new low. And with a new semester quickly approaching, I'll need all the energy I can muster.

I'm embarking on my own happiness project, starting with vitality. I'll get at least 7 hours of sleep, reorganize and clean my space, exercise and eat better.

I have a good feeling about this!